19.8 C
Port Louis
Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Download The App:

Read in French


Young Man Brought Before Pamplemousses Court On Murder Charge

Must Read

This Wednesday morning, March 13, 23-year-old Adrien Gentil, alias Kung, was brought before the Pamplemousses court on a provisional charge of murder. This after the charge of premeditated assault against him was dropped. The change of charge followed the death of Joseph Miguel Gérard Augustin, aged 32, late on the afternoon of Monday March 11 in the neurology ward of the intensive care unit of the Dr A.G. Jeetoo Hospital, Port-Louis. The head injury was fatal after he was pushed by Adrien Gentil during an argument on the evening of Wednesday February 14. The autopsy performed on Monday evening, March 11, by Dr Seewooruttun, Police Medical Office, attributed the cause of Gérard Augustin’s death to craniocerebral injuries.

The case dates back to Wednesday February 14 at around 8:30 p.m., Valentine’s Day, at rue La Fontaine, Pont Bruniquel, Baie du Tombeau. However, it wasn’t until March 1, at around 2:43 p.m., that a statement was recorded by a direct witness to the attack, 40-year-old Jean Renaud Marianne. Like the victim, he works as a surface technician at Store 2000 in Grand Baie.

They were having a conversation on rue La Fontaine, Pont Bruniquel, Baie du Tombeau, not far from their homes, when Adrien Gentil, who lives on the same street, arrived. An argument broke out between the young man, who works as a cleaner at Parc Saint Martin, Roche-Bois, and Gérard Augustin. Adrien Gentil, who was offended, began insulting the victim, “…,taler mo touy twa are beze”. Jean Renaud Marianne says he intervened to prevent his friend Joseph Augustin from retaliating to this provocation.

Joseph Miguel Gérard Augustin
Joseph Miguel Gérard Augustin

Adrien Gentil then grabbed the victim with both hands before shoving him. Gérard Augustin fell heavily on his back and his head hit a concrete surface.  Gérard Augustin was unconscious. At 7 a.m. on Thursday February 15, he went to visit his friend at his home. He was surprised to find that his friend was still unconscious. He called a cab and, with his brother’s help, took him to Dr Jeetoo Hospital. The same day, he informed Gérard Augustin’s sister of the incident.

After receiving treatment, Gérard Augustin was transferred to a neurology ward in the intensive care unit. He succumbed to his injuries at 3.15pm on Monday March 11. Adrien Gentil was arrested on Saturday March 2 and detained on the orders of Superintendent of Police Shyam Bansoodep, on a charge of premeditated assault.

Gérard Augustin’s funeral took place at 3pm on Tuesday March 12. After the funeral ceremony at the Chapelle du Bon Pasteur in Baie du Tombeau, he was laid to rest in the Bois-Marchand cemetery in Terre-Rouge.

The case has been referred to the Criminal Investigation Division of the Metropolitan Police, Northern Division. At Adrien Gentil’s last court appearance in Pamplemousses, a motion for bail was filed by lawyer Jogeea, and was due to be heard this Wednesday, March 13. Since the suspect’s arrest, the police had objected to his release on bail on the grounds that Gérard Augustin was in critical condition.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles