22.1 C
Port Louis
Friday, May 31, 2024

Download The App:

Read in French

spot_img

London High Court Affirms Prince Harry Was Victim Of Phone Hacking

Must Read

After London’s High Court decided on Friday that British Prince Harry had been the victim of “modest” phone hacking and other illegal information gathering by journalists on British newspapers, the prince was awarded 140,600 pounds, or roughly $180,700.

The prince had sued Mirror Group Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, and Sunday People. When he appeared as the star witness at the trial in June, he became the first senior British royal to testify in court in 130 years.

Harry and roughly a hundred other plaintiffs, who include actors, athletes, celebrities, and people who just happened to be acquainted with prominent individuals, have filed a lawsuit over claims that the media were unlawfully collecting information between 1991 and 2011 and hacking phones.

Harry claimed that MGN had targeted him for 15 years starting in 1996 and that over 140 stories that appeared in its publications was the product of illegal information gathering. Only 33 of these were taken into consideration during the trial.

“Vindicating” Court’s decision

Prince Harry hailed the court’s decision as “vindicating and affirming”. He said, “I’ve been told slaying dragons will get you burned. But in light of today’s victory and the importance of doing what is needed for a free and honest press — it’s a worthwhile price to pay. The mission continues.” The statement was released by his legal team.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles