50 years ago, 6 Missionary Sisters of Charity, a congregation founded by Saint Mother Teresa, settled in Mauritius at the request of the late Cardinal Jean Margéot. They founded the Shantinagar in Roche-Bois and are now responding to the needs of the people. The golden jubilee of their presence in Mauritius was celebrated yesterday, Saturday, in the church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Roche Bois.
A mass presided over by Cardinal Maurice Piat in the presence of several personalities, including the Acting President of the Republic, Eddy Boissezon and the Prime Minister, Pravind Jugnauth as well as other elected officials. In his homily, the Bishop of Port-Louis recalled the love and self-giving that animate the mission of the Sisters of Charity. 50 candles were placed before the Virgin Mary.
Establishment in the diocese of Port-Louis
It was at the request of Cardinal Jean Margéot (1916-2009), Bishop of Port-Louis, that six Missionary Sisters of Charity, five Indian and one French, arrived in the diocese on 7 October 1972. Prior to this, Mother Teresa herself had come to see the need for a community in the diocese in June 1970. They settled temporarily in Rose Hill and six months later moved to a poor area of the capital, Roche-Bois.
They run a hospice for abandoned elderly women and a crèche. They provide educational support, literacy classes, visit and help disadvantaged families and participate in catechesis in the parish of Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption.
The community in Mauritius is made up of 4 sisters: an American, a Bangladeshi, an Italian and a Mauritian.