24.7 C
Port Louis
Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Download The App:

Read in French


Motorcyclist Killed In Cottage Accident

Must Read

The road claimed another victim on the morning of Monday June 26. Subiraj Gour, aged 56, was killed on the Royal Road in Cottage, after his motorcycle collided with the rear of a truck. The body of this resident of Racket Road, Grand-Baie was subsequently taken to the morgue of the Dr A.G.Jeetoo Hospital, Port-Louis, for an autopsy.  The autopsy, carried out by Dr Prem Chamane, Principal Police Medical Officer, attributed the death to multiple injuries. As a result, the number of deaths on our roads has fallen to sixty-six.

The accident occurred at around 6 a.m. on Monday morning, June 26, as the victim was on his way to work. Immediately alerted, the Piton police station dispatched a team of officers to the scene of the accident. At the same time, an ambulance from the Service d’Aide Médicale d’Urgence (Samu) was called to the scene. The doctor had no choice but to pronounce the Grand-Baie resident dead.

After the road markings had been made, the 59-year-old truck driver from Poudre d’Or Hamlet was taken to the police station. He was given a breathalyzer test. The test was negative. An investigation has been launched to determine the exact circumstances of this accident.

The driver of a scooter was killed on the Terre-Rouge freeway in the late afternoon of Saturday June 24. In his statement to the police, the 45-year-old driver of the tow truck, who lived in the village of Crève-Cœur, described the circumstances of the accident.  He was travelling northbound when his truck was hit from behind at around 5.50 p.m. by a Suzuki scooter driven by Vikram Barrah, 38, a waiter at the Lux hotel in Grand Gaube and resident of Petite Julie. The 40-year-old then lost control of his scooter to the right of the truck before coming to a halt in front of it. A Samu ambulance doctor who arrived on the scene with his team certified that the victim was already dead.  His body was taken to the Dr Jeetoo Hospital morgue for an autopsy, which was carried out on Sunday morning June 25 by Dr Maxwell Monvoisin, PPMO. He attributed the death to multiple injuries.

In these two fatal accidents, the two drivers were brought before the Pamplemousses court on Monday June 26 on provisional charges of manslaughter. They were subsequently released on bail.

Two young people were also injured on the evening of Saturday June 24, when the motorcycle they were riding collided with the rear of a Nissan 2×4. The vehicle was parked alongside Route Vingt Pieds in Grand-Baie at around 11.20pm. The driver, a 25-year-old police officer assigned to the Maritime Air Squadron of the National Coast Guard, told investigators that his vehicle had broken down. He said he got out to check on the engine failure when he heard a loud noise from the back of his 2×4.

It was then that he saw two young people lying on the road. They were evacuated to the northern hospital in an ambulance. After receiving medical attention, the two young residents of 8th Mile, Triolet, aged 17 and 20 respectively, were admitted to the ward. The police officer, who lives in Nouvelle France, was given a breathalyzer test, which came back positive. He had thirty-five micrograms of alcohol in his sulphur.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles